Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Some Information

I had a thought. I don't think that many of my viewers know why I am exactly doing this project. So I figured I should give you all a little information.

When I was in the second grade I received my first camera, a Polaroid. I was mesmerized by that moment, I was a photographer for life. I was usually in charge of taking the photos for family and friend occasions, or so I thought, and I sometimes am to this day. I currently attend Stephens College for Film and continue to take photos of my own things on the side. I even have a separate blog for the food I make and photograph.

I think art education is very important to teach young children, it hurts my heart when I hear that music and art education is being cut from schools. One thing that I love about Columbia is that the community is very supportive in the arts and education of it. There is even a school dedicated to the education at the elementary level, Lee Elementary.

Because I believe that art education is important and I have benefited from it, I want to give back to my community and teach children the art of photography. Not only will the children be experiencing the art of photography, but they will be teaching me about the 2011 3rd grade experience. I believe that both the children and I have a lot to learn from each other, as well as the community. Something I am wanting to do with this project is not only teach the children and give them the experience of taking photos and sharing them with each other, but also to share this experience with the community around Columbia, MO.

The more specific details of this project are that I will be teaching the children through the guidance of Ann Mehr, several times through out the semester about photography as an art. The 3rd grade classes of Carissa Seek and Kathleen Corley after learning about photography will be given a disposable camera for 1 day and be asked to document their entire day from beginning to end. Along with the photos each student will be asked to write a story about their day, together the students and I will compile a book of everyones work to share with each member of the class. I am hoping this experience will affect them to look at their lives in a different way. These children already have a step ahead of many, looking at life through an artistic lens, but what I hope to do is to make them look at every aspect of their life through a photographic almost documentary lens. I feel many people do not view life in such a manner, they allow the small things to easily slip from their minds, I tend to find these to be the most beautiful things.

I am very excited about this project and hope that those of you who read this become as excited about it as I am. I will be using this page as an outlet to educate the community and viewers about the project and my progress physically and mentally. There will be many events throughout the community to be involved in and a fundraising page set to launch in mid to late February. Coming soon is and event at the Blue Fugue on FEBRUARY THE 5TH with bands and other fun activities that will help purchase the cameras and development of the film.

This project will only be possible with the help from the community members who participate.
To those of you who donate I am forever grateful, as are the children and Lee Elementary.
Feel free to pass this site on to those who may be interested, and to contact me with questions via comments on this site or my email. WyndstormN@gmail.com

Thank you so much for your time and participation.
Wynde

No comments:

Post a Comment